Recently Paige, a 12-year-old school girl, went on an evening walk. She felt dizziness and fell down in the park. When referred to a doctor, she was told that she is weak physically and lack in her daily nutrition need. She asked a doctor for the suggested ways to improve on her health. Then the doctor handed over her with a daily nutrition booklet to stay healthy. The doctor also explained to her that why she should focus on gaining a balanced diet. Doctor pulled her hand softly and explained her like this: ‘Paige, your palm is a good reflection of the daily nutrients need and its quantity, to be taken daily. The tallest finger in your palm is protein, means you need to provide your body with a major supplement of proteins, then the next on this list is vitamins which are indicated by your ring finger. Your index finger tells you about your carbohydrate need and amount while your little finger indicates fats or better say good fats. The thumb, which is slightly thicker than the fingers indicates water and mineral requirement of your body. It means from your daily nutrition, you need protein in the maximum amount than others, then vitamins and carbohydrates, then good fats and lastly in the highest amount and in a balancing manner, water and minerals.’ When Paige went back home she told this to all her family members in excitement. She was happy and started following doctor’s diet list. Within 20 days she was declared fit.
If you are feeling plum and are planning to lose weight, then you need to properly understand the concept of the daily nutritional requirement of your body. The quantity of these daily nutrients also matters a lot here. Expanding on the knowledge about what these listed nutrients contribute actually, then let us check this chart:
- Protein contributes to building muscle mass and strong immune system.
- Vitamins, as the name suggests, are vital for regulating body processes.
- Carbohydrates are known to provide with energy and strength.
- Fats contribute to cellular structure in our body and to function as the energy reservoir to fulfill your needs at the time of scarcity.
- Minerals take part in metabolism and also builds up body tissues.
- Water acts as a medium for all reactions and processes to occur smoothly in our body.
“Are you dieting?”
The very next time the response comes to be positive. As and when you hear this word, you make a picture in your mind that he or she is bulky and eating in a controlled manner. But dieting is defined clearly as a practice of regulated and supervised eating to decrease, maintain or increase body weight.
Through dieting, you are able to lose weight and gain weight too. It is just a way to bring a calculated amount of daily nutrients into your plate as per the requirement.
Check these myths about dieting:
1‘You need to be hungry for hours for dieting.’
When you are dieting, you are controlling yourself from hogging extra of your favorite food. It should never be misunderstood that you should be hungry for hours. Actually, you should never miss your breakfast if you are planning to either loose or gain weight.
2‘You need to be a calorie calculator always.’
Again, if you are panicking about your daily nutrition and calorie intake, then this should be stopped there only. On the off chance, you should check on taking and sticking to eating a balanced meal all the time.
3‘Sugars and fats are totally bad for the health.’
An excess amount of sugar and fats have brought world’s population to a state, where diseases like diabetes and obesity have become like life-threatening diseases. You need sugar and fats both but again a controlled amount.
4‘Diet chart and daily nutrition impose timely eating, and you hate restrictions.’
If you have a habit of eating a bulk of food at one time and then not eating for hours thereafter, then you should instantly take action to overcome this dangerous mindset. As this is the sole reason for the increase of being overweight, you should eat raw or boiled food items but with a break of 2 – 2.5 hours and not more than that. And then nothing negative takes place.
You do not need to worry about balancing your daily nutrition needs when dieting. You need to check the below list of ‘must eat and must not eat food items’ on a daily basis, if you are dieting for weight loss program:
- Eat green leafy vegetables and more of colored fruits at least 2 times a day.
- Bulk up your diet with fibers. As per the famous saying ‘more natural and unprocessed the food, the higher it is in fiber.’ You need to eat fibrous food in every meal.
- Reduce sugar intake by avoiding processed or packed foods. Apart from candies and dessert being a direct source of bountiful sugar, you will find it in your regular foodstuffs too. These may be in cereal flours, bread, canned soups, pasta sauce, margarine, mashed potatoes, frozen dinners, low-fat meals, fast food, and ketchup. Try to eat them in less quantity.
- Eat in moderation and try to balance your hunger with fruits and vegetables.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid refined oils and food products. Read the food labels to stay healthy forever.
- Start your day with an oatmeal.
- Cut down on caffeine intake. Reduce tea, coffee, and even cold drinks, packed juices or energy drinks. Instead upon relying upon fresh juice, soup, boiled vegetables.
- Include healthy fats or good fats from sources like dry fruits, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, and fish oils. At the same time remove unhealthy or bad fats like hydrogenated oil, ghee, fried foods, baked foods, margarine etc.
- Replace excess salt usage with flavor enhancing herbs like garlic, black pepper, and curry powder.
A balanced diet is only healthy in a way that ‘you are eating right food in right amount.’ This needful will satisfy your daily nutrition needs and will not make up for any harm to your body. Also to note here that, healthy diet gives you energy, maintains your weight, supports your mood, maintains your weight, and improves your immunity. Then you are able to retain your best look for a long time. The other positive effects of eating healthy foods can be counted too. It helps to reduce aging, boosts fertility, and combats stress. It also makes pregnancy process easier and ease symptoms of menopause in women.
“Food feeds both the body and soul – there are clear reasons to eat a balanced diet, but there are also reasons you cling to your mom’s secret recipe when you’re sick.”