I bet that almonds are an incredibly popular tree nut. Although they are high in fat, they are highly nutritious and extremely healthy. Thes are Natural, and unsalted nuts are a tasty and nutritious snack. They have so many health benefits like supplying with the nutrient pack of the day, boosting your immune system, keeping your bad cholesterol level in check and similar health benefits. Totally Loaded with minerals, they are also among the healthiest of many nuts. Just try having a handful of nutrient-rich nuts a day helps in promoting the health of your heart and in preventing weight gain, and it may even help fight diseases like diabetes and Alzheimer’s.
Suggested ways of intake
Almonds may be consumed on their own, either raw or toasted. They are also the ingredients of several sweet dishes. These nuts are available in sliced, flaked or slivered form also as flour, oil, butter, or as almond milk is some of its variants. The well-being benefits of almonds have been documented for centuries, and modern research is backing up many of the claims, so why not you might want to consider including them in your diet?
Almonds are available in a variety of types, and it can be tough to know which is healthiest of all nuts. Raw, unsalted nuts are safe, but some people prefer the roasted one. Both kinds of almonds, raw and roasted almonds pack a high dose of nutrients and minerals. Among them, Raw almonds have more naturally occurring beneficial fats, as some of which are lost in the roasting process. Dry roasted almonds have the same quantity of calories as raw almonds while almonds roasted in oil contain slightly more calories.
You can benefit your body by Eating Almonds in many ways
1A source of good cholesterol
It is a supplier of good fats to the body. As like other dry fruits, almonds also contain a high amount of HDL, the good cholesterol. It keeps the level of circulating LDL or bad cholesterol in blood low. In this way, it keeps the heart health and high blood pressure risks.
2Reduces unnecessary oxidation process in the body
Almonds prevent harmful oxidation of LDL. Oxidation of LDL in the blood stream leads to heart stroke, but the skin of almonds saves this oxidation process. The skin of almond is rich in polyphenol antioxidants which have been proved to prevent the oxidation of fatty substances. This effect is hiked by the presence of Vitamin E in the almonds.
It fulfills the magnesium requirement of your body. High blood pressure is one of the leading drivers of heart diseases and kidney failure. A lack of magnesium in the body is strongly linked with blood pressure related problems in the body. As per one of the research conducted in one of the US research institute, those adults who didn’t fulfill the dietary requirements of magnesium, showed great progress in health due to regular almonds eating.
4Anti-diabetic in nature
Almond-like other nuts are low in carbs but high in fats, proteins and fibers. Thus, it can act to keep an individual diabetes-free for the whole of his/her life. There also has been an active connection between a low level of magnesium in the body with type 2 diabetes. It has been hence proved that 25-35% of type 2 diabetic patients are also deficient in magnesium. When diabetic or non-diabetic people were provided with high magnesium foods like almonds were noticed with a remarkably controlled level of insulin in their bloodstream.
Almonds contain a high amount of vitamin E, which is a group of fat-soluble antioxidants. These antioxidants build up in the cell membranes, protecting them from oxidative damage. Almonds are one of the best source of Vitamin E. Thus it reduces the chances of serious diseases like cancer and Alzheimer’s, where cell overgrowth or cell destruction is the major cause of illness.
6It reduces belly fat
As per their rich source of protein and fibers, almonds helps an individual to lose weight. It controls satiety by making people full, and they end up eating fewer calories. Thus, it’s suggested to eat 2 almonds (soaked in milk or water) daily, to maintain your overall health.
7It promotes intestinal health
Almonds may also improve gastrointestinal health and lowers the blood sugar level thus combating diabetes. The high fiber content of these nuts gives them probiotic properties, which contributes to the good health of the gastrointestinal tract. Prebiotics are non-digestible food substances, which serve as food for the good bacteria in the intestinal tract and help to maintain a healthy balance. But all these should be assisted with some physical activity on a regular basis so that the nutrients are absorbed, assimilated and used for a good cause in your body and not to make you overweight or fatty.
Some of the healthy almond recipes
A super sweet crunchy topping of sugared toasted almonds and a surprise filling of almond-scented berry jam, surely mouth waters to you and your family members. You recall the school days when you used to go mad over muffins, cakes, and pastries. These almond based recipes serve to be a part of your daily breakfast or brunch.
To prepare this you need:
• 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1 cup buttermilk
• 1/4 cup orange juice
Steps for almond muffins preparation
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Mix eggs and brown sugar in a small bowl until smooth.
- Now add buttermilk, orange juice, oil, and vanilla. Whisk them together to blend.
- Add these dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until properly moistened.
- Scoop half of the batter into a pan. Mix jam and almond extract by dropping a generous teaspoonful into the center of each muffin.
- Scoop the remaining batter, filling each muffin cup completely. Sprinkle the nuts, then sugar.
- Bake these muffins until the tops have become golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Try Loosening the edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Almond-apricot sandwich cookies
To prepare this you need:
• 3/4 cup whole almonds
• 1 1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup apricot
• 3 1/4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
• 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
• 1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
Steps for almond muffins preparation
- For cookies preparation, position rack in center of the oven and preheat it to 350°F.
- Place a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Process almonds in a blender in 2 batches until finely ground. Now put these to a large bowl and add flour, 1/2 cup butter, sugar, and salt.
- Mix the mixture with your hands until they are blended. Divide the dough into 2 portions.
- With one part at a time, mix the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper until it is 1/8 inch thick. Try to Cut cookies using a 2-inch circular cookie cutter. Using a metal spatula, place them 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat above steps with the second portion of dough.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, one batch at a time, until puffed and beginning to color. Cool, the pans for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare sandwiches and glaze the cookies.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter and chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. Remove from the heat; stir in milk and corn syrup until smooth. Line 2 baking sheets with wax paper.
- Dip each sandwich cookie halfway into this chocolate, then place on the wax paper. When all the cookies are dipped, refrigerate until the chocolate has set, 20 to 30 minutes.
You probably didn’t know these points about almonds
- Raw Almonds Aren’t Exactly Raw
Almonds are pre-treated with heat and pasteurization like processes to get them into the market.
- Almond is healthy and gluten free.
You can use them for baking purposes to cook delicious items.
- In most of the countries, almonds are considered as Brain foods for children.
People advise their kids to eat almonds with milk to gain intelligence and brain memory.
- The outer hull of almonds are not consumed by the human but are used as cattle feed.
Potential risks associated with almonds
We all know Allergy to almonds is quite common. If you are allergic to almonds, it’s important to avoid any food products that may contain them. Almonds are used to make the frangipane and praline. Almonds are also sometimes used in cakes, biscuits, bread, chocolates, ice cream, and certain liqueurs (such as Amandine).
Almonds are a complete package food for you. A bowl full of almonds in the morning along with milk fill you with energy, and you are totally good to go for the whole day. Enjoy the Nature’s gifts in the form of varieties of fruits around you!