Some habits are long-lasting. It becomes hard to get rid of it. You gradually sneak into it and then enter into an unbreakable bond of love with these bad habits. These bad habits are our biggest enemies that hinder us from being the person we want to be. Unfortunately, smoking that you once considered being your status symbol has troubled your family members, friends, and relatives as it is a very bad habit. In a way to quit smoking, you will feel as capturing one of the biggest milestones of your life.
Is it difficult for you to quit smoking?
You might think that quitting smoking would be an easy task. You might have thought and tried for it a thousand times but might have started it again. There you have to face a big disappointment at your near and dear ones. Don’t worry as this happens with most of the smokers and the main culprit behind this trials and failures is nicotine. The nicotine is a type of chemical when it enters the body, your body craves for it for the next time. This way it builds up your addiction. Nicotine is also present in drugs and additives like cocaine and heroin. Nicotine makes an individual emotionally addicted to it and the individual also faces some unpleasant symptoms when he or she try to quit it. Numerous studies have suggested that smokers suffer from many mental and physical burdens in a way to quit smoking by staying at it.
Some facts regarding smoking:
- 9 out of 10 lung cancer patients have a habit of smoking.
- Nearly 8 out of 10 chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patient deaths are a result of smoking.
- Smokers have a higher risk of dying due to tuberculosis.
- 9 out of 10 smokers start smoking before the age of 18 years and 98% smokers start smoking by the age of 26 years.
- 18% of high school students smoke cigarettes.
- 6 million people living on this earth have a serious illness caused by smoking.
- An average life of smokers is 13 to 14 years less as compared to a non-smoker.
Take up this questionnaire, if you think to quit smoking
Think for a while to know what sort of smoker you are. This will help you to distinguish which tips or treatments might be most gainful for you.
- Do you crave to smoke at each feast?
- Do you go after cigarettes when you’re feeling focused or down?
- Are you an enjoyer of social smoking?
- Is it a compulsion to finish a pack a day?
- Are there specific activities, places, or individuals you connect with smoking?
- Is your cigarette smoking connected to other bad habits like liquor or betting?
- Are you aware of smoking’s affect on your lungs?
- Are you keen on getting into a workout schedule?
1Quit smoking program and human health
Smoking is a kind of nicotine enslavement. Nicotine has a bigger impact upon the cerebrum part of our brain. It calms the mind and stress at the initial stage but soon it takes a control over all the other emotions like tensions, rigidness to adaptations, weariness, and despondency. Apart from causing lung cancers, it brings about aging effects upon the body, impairs senses, makes you impotent and reduces your immune system.
As per a close study of smokers and understanding their activities, some of the points were noticed as:
- Smoking is permeated as a day by day custom.
- It might be a programmed reaction for them to smoke a cigarette with their morning espresso.
- Any companions, relatives, and associates smoke triggers you to smoke.
- Some person might feel to get good thoughts only while smoking, and it has turned out to be almost as a connection.
- Sometimes places, things, and situations also trigger your urge to smoke.
But all such connections are generated due to one or the other fear in the smoker’s mind. The main culprit behind it is still the nicotine. It makes you to hold on to one or the other excuse and to stick to it. All you need to do is to make yourself so strong by your positive thoughts that these excuses look smaller and you achieve your goal to quit smoking.
2Repair your body and gain health
To effectively quit smoking, you’ll have to address both the compulsion and self-confidence. You need a big coordination from family and friends. Your habits and schedules will automatically follow your way. While a few smokers effectively quit by going without any weaning period, the vast majority improve an arrangement to keep themselves on track.
For some individuals, an imperative part to quit smoking is to discover substitute approaches to handling their troublesome emotions without smoking. Notwithstanding, when cigarettes are no more a piece of your life, the difficult and disagreeable emotions that might have provoked you to smoke in the past, will even now remain. In this way, it merits investing some energy contemplating the diverse ways you expect to manage upsetting circumstances and the day by day disturbances that would ordinarily make them go after a cigarette.
3How to cope with nicotine withdrawal symptoms?
As nicotine has a bad effect on your brain, its withdrawal will certainly be not an easy task. Once you stop smoking, you will experience a number of physical symptoms like irritation, anxiety etc. The withdrawal symptoms begin within forty minutes to an hour of the last cigarette taken. Then, it peaks for another two to three days later. Withdrawal symptoms can last for a few days to several weeks and differ from one person to the other person.
One thing to be sure here, if you are able to control your trigger to smoke at the beginning, you will be a winner. Avoiding smoking triggers will help in reducing your urge to smoke. But it is hard to avoid such cravings entirely. The good news is, cigarette cravings don’t last long. If you feel to light a cigarette, remember that the craving will pass and you need to try to let it pass. Having the plan to cope with cravings will help keep you from giving in. You can check this list of distractions for easing your smoking quittance.
- Indulge in some hot and trending discussion with your friend or family member. Remember, this distraction will make you feel as if you just finished your one cigarette if you are involved truly in the same.
- Do the dishes, call a friend, iron your clothes or take a shower. This list of activities doesn’t matter as long as it gets your mind off of smoking.
- Keep boosting your spirits about quit smoking. Check some of the images of smoker’s lungs. It will help you to stay away from smoking.
- Focus on the major reasons for quitting, like health benefits, appearance, savings on money and added respect or social esteem.
- Reward yourself. This habit will be of a big help as you will connect your such rewards with a challenge you won to stay away from cigarettes.
- If, at all these distractions do not work and you are just pressing your lighter to light a cigarette in your hand. Then hold a cup of coffee in the other hand and let the cigarette burning without puffing it into your lungs. Just after 10 minutes, you will feel that you had a cigarette because it all is an illusion for your mind to stop nicotine cravings. But, this practice should be the last step if at all other distractions don’t work. You cannot carry it for long as you are still a passive smoker.
4Easy medications to help you quit smoking
Nicotine based medicines
Nicotine replacement therapy is one such method to help you stay out of smoking. In this therapy, cigarettes are replaced with other nicotine substitutes, like nicotine gum or a patch. It works by infusing small doses of nicotine into your body to relieve some of the withdrawal symptoms. Also, it relieves your lungs from the tars and poisonous gasses found in cigarettes. This type of treatment helps smokers focus on breaking their psychological addiction and makes it easier to concentrate on learning new behaviors and coping skills.
Non-nicotine based medicines
These medicines are bupropion (Zyban) and varenicline (Chantix). These drugs should be used for a short time only. They help you to stop smoking by reducing cravings and withdrawal symptoms without the use of nicotine.
5Quit smoking by alternative therapies
As per research work, nicotine addiction is related to the habitual behaviors, personal connections. Behavior therapy focuses on learning new coping skills and breaking those habits under the guidance of an expert or a referral doctor.
This method has produced good results. It helps in building your inner strength. Hypnosis works by getting you into a deeply relaxed state where you are open to suggestions that strengthen your resolve to quit smoking. Thus, it increases your negative feelings toward cigarette smoking and improving your overall health.
It can be taken by reading and learning from others’ experiences. There are available self-help books, websites and success stories that can provide a number of ways to motivate yourself to quit smoking. It is a human nature to get an inspiration from others to bring about a change in oneself.
It is one of the oldest known medical techniques. You might be wondering how can acupuncture help you to quit smoking? Acupuncture makes a direct impact on smoker’s brain. It works by triggering the release of endorphins, which is a natural pain reliever. In this way, it allows the body to relax. Pranayama an integral part of Yoga asana along with other asanas and mudras certainly are of a positive result and permanent shield.
6“I started smoking again”, what to do now?
You tried to quit smoking, but it didn’t work and you started smoking again. It is considered as relapse. It might happen with anyone. But your earlier promises to your friends and health burden should always be remembered. You will be able to achieve success.
7Quick tips to stay away from normal smoking triggers
It might be an alcohol connection:
Numerous individuals have a propensity for smoking when they drink. Switch to non-mixed beverages or drink just in spots where ‘smoking inside’ is disallowed. Then again, have a go at nibbling on nuts and chips, or biting on a straw or mixed drink stick.
Trigger from other smokers:
The whole world will not decide to quit smoking on the day you decide to. So, there will be always some people around you smoking and relaxing. You are not supposed to give them a company this time. Be firm and strong in your decisions. The truth is, it is doubly hard to stop when your smoking partner is smoking in front of you. Thus, here you need to make a slight change by making an announcement in our social circles about your goal to quit smoking. The person who understands the depth of this fact will not at all trouble you by smoking in front of you.
Day-finisher with a cigarette:
For a few smokers, finishing a dinner means illuminating, and the possibility of surrendering that might seem overwhelming. You should supplant that minute after a supper with something, for example, a bit of natural product, a (sound) sweet, a square of chocolate, or a stick of gum.
8A word of motivation
Having a small setback doesn’t mean you’re a smoker again. Most people try to quit smoking several times before they kick the habit for good. Identify the triggers or trouble spots you ran into and learn from your mistakes.
Your face will lighten up the day you will light a cigarette less than the previous one. Follow this DIMPLE basic and get a dimple and shine to your face.
D = Decide to quit smoking,
I = Inform friends and family members
M = Manage your stress
P = Plan your nicotine distractions
L = Lift your spirit to quit this habit
E = Empty your triggers like lighter, cigarette cases etc.
Fill your mind with the positive effects of quitting smoking. Also, you can focus on the areas of nicotine withdrawal and associated health benefits. This way, you will be able to turn the relapse into a rebound. You will be able to analyze your mistakes. Spot your triggers for the relapse to know your habits remotely. You will certainly emerge as a winner at the end.
Have Faith in Yourself!