A healthy and fit individual always get the attention of public. This becomes a cause of concern for obese individuals. They remain distressed and feel an urge to get in shape quickly. Various research works have revealed this truth that excessive deposition of belly fat leads to this condition. But sometimes over thinking and worrying attitude also leads to a state of depression in even an individual who can achieve his goal of losing weight by following some tips. In such a situation when everything seems difficult one should quickly shift to a state of positive thinking. Positive thinking approach will pave the way for a healthy state of mind and a fit body. Most of the people confuse about the two terms i.e. obesity or overweight.
- One-third of the American adults making for 36% population in America is obese.
- Over 12.5 million children and adolescents aged 2-19 making for 17% of the population in America are obese.
How is obesity different from overweight?
Being overweight should not be considered to be unhealthy. Overweight people might remain in excellent health for their whole lifetime. The state of overweight varies widely from the state of obesity. Obesity is a sick state in which there is excessive deposition of body fat due to which body’s metabolic index exceeds the value of 30 whereas overweight is the condition in which the person gains weight more than the normal condition of his weight, height and age. In the case of obesity the risk of being affected by various diseases like coronary illness, hypertension, diabetes increases. On the other hand, overweight might be frustrating or depressing for the particular person only. This difference can clearly be noticed by a physician or a health expert. The major culprit in both the cases is the deposition of body fat in the body. The fat gets deposited around belly or stomach area in case of the overweight person whereas the fats get deposited under the skin of hands, legs, thighs, buttocks, and belly in cases of obese. This fat gets deposited around the internal organs too which becomes the cause of major damage to the person making him sick.
How does BMI determine a person to be obese or overweight?
There are many criteria determining a person to be obese or overweight; one such criterion is BMI. BMI applies to both men and women between the ages of 18 and 65 years. You can easily calculate your BMI by using the BMI formula. Moreover to say, BMI is an estimate of body fat. It’s a good gauge of your risk for diseases that occur with more body fat.
Body mass index is the ratio of an individual’s weight to the height. The weight should be determined in kilograms and height should be in feet and inches. The number that is obtained as a result of this calculation is then compared to a standard BMI chart. In this way, the conclusion is drawn.
The major points of this BMI standard chart is as follows:
- BMI below 18 is considered to be an underweight person.
- BMI in the range of 18.5 – 24.9 is considered to be a normal weight person.
- BMI in the range of 25 – 29.9 is considered to be an overweight person.
- BMI in the range of 30 – 39.9 is considered to be an obese person.
- And BMI above 40 is considered to be an extremely obese person.
Suppose an individual’s body weight is 92 kilograms and his height is 5 feet 7 inches then his BMI would come up to be in the range of 30 – 39.9. As per the standard chart, he is an obese person and at a higher risk for life-threatening diseases.
Please remember, however, that this is only one of many possible ways to assess your weight. If you have any concerns about your weight, please discuss them with your physician. The physician should be able to analyze and inspect an individual from some other perspective apart from his BMI. In this way he might come up with a solution, to address your specific individual situation.
What are the health dangers if a person is either obese or overweight?
The connection in the middle of BMI and wellbeing dangers is entrenched. Obese people are at expanded danger for some sicknesses and many wellbeing conditions. Let’s check the dangers for an obese person first:
- High blood cholesterol or presence of anomalous levels of fat in the blood happens when levels of cholesterol reaches an extraordinarily dangerous level. It majorly bring about an increase in the circulation of bad cholesterol in the body leading to heart stroke-like condition.
- Stroke happens when the stream of oxygen-rich blood to a segment of the cerebrum is blocked. Without oxygen, cerebrum cells begin to bite the dust following a couple of minutes. There are two noteworthy sorts of stroke: ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. Ischemic stroke happens when a vein that supplies blood to the mind is hindered by a blood coagulation. These might be brought about by obstructed conduits from amassing of fat, cholesterol, and different substances that gather on the supply route dividers, or from different causes like a blood coagulation going from somewhere else in the body to the cerebrum. A hemorrhagic stroke happens when a vein in part of the brain gets to be frail and blasts open, making blood spill into the cerebrum.
- Hypertension is experienced in an obese person as blood vessels get narrowed down due to fat deposition. Lifted circulatory strain compels the heart to work harder than ordinary manner to course blood all through the body.
- Diabetes is another such type of sickness associated due to obesity. In this case, the body does not sufficiently deliver insulin and/or the body’s cells experience difficulty utilizing the insulin it produces. Without adequate insulin secretion, glucose levels develop in the blood. If untreated, serious inconveniences result.
- Gallbladder might get damaged due to obesity. In the case of presence of insufficient dietary fibers for digestion or condensation of dietary fats, the gallbladder gets thick leading to gallstones. Gallstones are framed when bile solidifies.
- Osteoarthritis is a steady crumbling of the joint tissue because of over the top wear and tear.
- Rest apnea is a condition in which breathing over and again stops and begins, or shallow breaths happen, amid rest in light of fractional or aggregate blockage of the aviation route.
If a person is an overweight then the associated health dangers like diabetes, heart risk or depression are some of the major concerns. Hence, it would be better to balance your weight by calculating your BMI and calorie utilization. The Ratio of calories into the calories out is only termed as energy utilization. If an adequate amount of physical activity is being performed, then the person will tend to remain in the normal weight range only.
Parameters to solve obese or overweight condition of an individual are:
Human services experts additionally might take your waist estimation. This screens for the conceivable wellbeing dangers identified with overweight and stoutness in grown-ups. If you have stomach weight and a large portion of your fat is around your waist as opposed to at your hips, you’re at expanded danger for coronary illness and sort 2 diabetes. The danger runs up with a waist size that is more prominent than 35 inches for ladies or more prominent than 40-45 inches for men.
You likewise can gauge your waist size. To do as such accurately, stand and place a measuring tape around your center, simply over your hipbones. Measure your waist soon after you inhale out.
2Check-up by a physician
An essential consideration specialist will survey your BMI, waist estimation, and general wellbeing hazard. In case, you’re overweight or fat, or on the off chance that you have a huge waist measure, your specialist ought to clarify the wellbeing dangers and see if you’re intrigued and willing to get more fit.
On the off chance that you will be, you and your specialist can cooperate to make a treatment arrangement. The arrangement might incorporate weight reduction objectives and treatment choices that are practical for you.
3Confirm obesity with Hormone testing
An endocrinologist if you should be dealt by for sort 2 diabetes or a hormone issue, for example, for an underactive thyroid. There is a great degree of change involved in the hormonal level of a person if in case he has BMI above 30.
4Concerning a dietician
An enlisted dietitian or nutritionist to work with you on approaches to change your dietary patterns. An activity physiologist or coach to make sense of your level of wellness and demonstrate to you accepted methods to do physical exercises suitable for you.
Personal satisfaction is a marker of general prosperity that joins physical and mental components. Thus satisfy yourself to the level enough that you belong to which category; obese or overweight. After that the right way out is to consult a dietician or nutritionist before taking up self-medications. A clear idea about whether you are obese or overweight will help in a quicker recovery. You will soon live a healthy and hale life.